Join the Jordan River Commission as a UCC/AmeriCorps Member
Job Opening: Volunteer, Outreach & Conservation Coordinator
1700 Hour Position
The Jordan River Commission (JRC) is seeking an energetic, motivated and engaging individual to assist with our mission to improve and engage the communities surrounding the 50-mile Jordan River Parkway in the Salt Lake, Davis and Utah County metropolitan area. The position is an individual placement AmeriCorps Member position through the Utah Conservation Corps (UCC) – www.usu/edu/ucc/. The individual must complete 1,700 hours of service; the position requires 30-40 hours of service work per week and terminates no later than December 31, 2018. The JRC is accepting applications through December 8, 2017, and will interview candidates and hire for the position in mid-late December 2017. Job duties will begin in January 2018.
This unique 1700 hour position will give you the opportunity to:
- Participate and lead environmental education and outreach efforts
- Mobilize and organize community volunteers
- Organize and manage events related to environmental stewardship and sustainability
- Participate in hands-on environmental conservation efforts
- Promote, manage and lead all aspects of the JRC’s volunteer program including
- Help implement citizen science projects inventorying and tracking the presence of puncturevine weeds, and the effectiveness of biocontrol and other management methods along the Jordan River Parkway Trail
- Plan and host the annual “Weevil Release Party”
- Assist with some aspects of state and local grant administration, such as field monitoring and reporting
- Help with environmental education project development by: enhancing Jordan River based elementary school curriculum, managing Teaching Toolkit Program and leading student field trips to the Jordan River in partnership with the National Park Service and other community partners
- Host informational tables at community events
- Assist with planning and co-hosting the annual Get Into the River Festival
- Help plan technical training workshops as part of the JRC’s Riverfront Communities Training Series
- Maintain the Jordan River Commission website and social media
- Develop the JRC’s quarterly email newsletter and annual report
- Work with JRC staff on broad community engagement and outreach efforts
- General field work at multiple Jordan River restoration sites
- Help manage any unpaid student interns
- Help promote and expand our digital field guide MyJordanRiver.org
- Enthusiastic, outgoing, motivated individual with the ability to work independently
- Comfortable speaking publicly and working with large groups including youth
- Ability to learn quickly and share skills and knowledge with diverse populations
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- At least age 18 by start of placement term
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent
- Must undergo and pass a National Criminal History check
- Able to commit to serving an AmeriCorps State/National term
- Willing to work occasion evening and weekend events
- Semi-monthly living allowance for a total of 1700 hours (11 months) of service totaling $12,630.00
- Individual health insurance through AmeriCorps
- $5,815.00 education award upon completion of service (to repay qualified student loans or use for education expenses)
- Work tools, supplies, desk, and computer are provided. Transit pass for commuting to and from work (and personal use) is available at no cost, if desired.
- Optional: Utah Environmental Education Certification
- A company vehicle is available for transporting equipment to and from work sites, volunteer activities and events. A valid driver’s license is required. Use of a personal vehicle may be beneficial, but not required, for convenience with some activities and events. Use of a personal vehicle for JRC related activity will be reimbursed at the federal IRS mileage rate.
Ongoing training and mentoring will be available and Corps Members will work closely alongside the permanent JRC staff. The JRC works in many different areas that could offer training and learning opportunities for Corps Members according to their individual interests and career goals. We will work to foster and provide opportunities for exploration, learning and personal growth.
Please email resume and cover letter to Soren Simonsen, Executive Director, at email@example.com, no later than Dec. 8th.